<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What Taffy said is totally true. I became an American Girl collector as a child; although most of my AG products were and are home-made, the Knitting Nellie (Molly's craft) was something I definitely wanted to have! Getting completely "caught up" in the experience, I would read Molly's books while working on my Knitting Nellie. My favorite book to read while using it, of course, was Molly Learns a Lesson. [img]smile.gif[/img] (I won't say why in case some haven't read it yet.) And for anyone who wants one, they are commonly available in craft stores. The AG one was better quality plastic from my experience, though.Quote:
Originally posted by Taffy Cheerful:
My view is that the girls in the stories were all from times when girls were expected to able to sew and do crafts. Providing the patterns and the craft kits was yet another way of involving the readers in the total experience of the American Girl (as depicted in the stories).
However, I'm not convinced that the patterns were for girls. They were always advertised as being for experienced seamstresses. I can't imagine little girls sewing the dresses unless they are really talented.
<font color="#020176" size="1">[ March 05, 2004 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>
